It's not terminal but it isn't fun...

Welcome to my blog!

Out of sheer necessity to communicate, I find myself turning to the Internet to express thoughts and feelings during this very weird time in my life. I can only write so many emails of great length to friends before I bore them to tears with my tales "behind bars". But I'm aware that I'm not the only person who has gone through this, is currently going through this, or will go through it in the future.

In the long run I hope my ranting ends up helping someone, but right now my motives are purely selfish.

I just need to speak, yet I can't. So, dear followers, read on!

Thursday, September 16, 2010

that which does not kill us...

Well internet blog readers (for I'm not sure if anyone reads my posts any more) here is the latest:

As of 3pm this afternoon the arch bars were RIPPED from my teeth.  Now, I'm prone to exaggeration from time-to-time, but rest assured, this was not one of those times.  I'll start with the positive.
I had three of the most amazing oral surgery senior residents.  Full of compassion they explained to me that freezing my mouth was an option, but would take about 16 needles and painful in and of itself. The other option was to be brave, go slowly, hold one of the resident's hands and raise my other hand if it got too much.  I somehow hoped there would be a third option. Total sedation.  Such was not the case.

If you are about to go through this and have the option take it. Provided you have someone with you to take you home.

I can seldom think of a more painful experience in my life than what I went through.  Imagine each one of your teeth is wrapped with wire all held by one big solid bar.  Now imagine someone has to go in with pliers, cut the big bar, and then pull so that the wrapped wires come unwrapped and yank through you teeth, section by section.  Now remember, your jaw is still healing from a fracture so imagine that someone has to hold your jaw and head in place as they rip.  Perhaps it would be easier for you to imagine having each tooth ripped from you mouth. Well there you have it.  When it was done, about 20 minutes non-stop, I cried like a baby.  Just a release.  The doctor who was holding my hand said "open you eyes so you don't internalize everything". Now that might not mean much to you but to me, it spoke volumes. I opened my eyes and just let it go.

At this point I am totally convinced that I would be USELESS giving birth. Thank god I'm a man and that will never happen. But if childbirth is anything like this (though the opposite end of the body!) I understand why millions of women start out without drugs and half way through yell...GIVE ME THE BLOODY DRUGS!

So its done. I'm home resting in bed with my friend Advil and Tylenol 3.  My front teeth received quite a blow and the doctor told me I may well loose them. This is devastating to me. With no dental coverage I'm certain to be facing financial hardship on top of this.  I'm not saying this to win your hearts. This blog is for me primarily.

I'm terrified.  My 25 year career is in jeopardy.  I know at a time like this I'm supposed to be thinking of others worse off, but in my own world and reality, this is pretty bad for me and my life and struggle.

I live in a country with National Health Care. It is a  travesty that dental injuries cause from an accident stemming from post sedation fainting isn't covered.  I have to pick my battles right now. Hiring a lawyer just does factor in to things. And so, though 6 weeks in, the Muzzled man has had his muzzle removed, I still feel somewhat powerless.

Thanks for listening...whoever you are.  I should rest. It's been a rough afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha Funny as hell; happen to stubleupon to your blog and i must say its hilarious; wish yo you a speedy recovery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Great blog you have too. I like your brain...and your taste in film/music

    ReplyDelete